This is a guest post written by the creators of Classgap, an online platform to give your online lessons. While it is possible to teach, find students and manage your payments on your own, it is also worth considering an option where you can do all these things in one same place.
In this article, they explain everything you have to do to start teaching with them step by step. If you are interested in teaching through online platforms, keep reading!
Among all the options available on the Internet for teaching online, there are few that are exclusively developed for education. One of the most widely used is Classgap, a platform where you can find students, conduct classes, track your students’ progress and manage payments in a secure way.
Classgap was born with the intention of offering teachers and students a professional environment where they can do their online lessons. There are many ways to do it, but sooner or later all of them end up failing at some point, especially if the class is between two complete strangers.
This platform is a secure way to contact students and for them to make payments in a safe way. In addition to that, you will not have to leave the web to give the lessons because it has a videoconferencing system with several tools that enrich the classes.
It is its Virtual Classroom system that differentiates Classgap from many other options. This consists of a series of tools that allows the student to discover all the advantages of online lessons. These are some of the features:
- Chatbox: something very useful to teach your student how to write a word or to send a link of an interesting article or an exercise from a website.
- Text editor: you can create and edit texts online with Google Drive without leaving the page or class, thanks to the fact that it is integrated into the system. You will be able to write at the same time as your student sees it and see how your student solves the exercises you propose.
- Digital whiteboard: this is a shared whiteboard that both students and teachers can see, where you can write, draw and make diagrams at the same time as your student sees it.
- Upload content: Not only will you be able to create documents from scratch, but also upload any existing content, exercises or photographs you already have so you can share them with your student during the class.
How does Classgap work?
This is an easy web to use, that also has its own app and covers all the needs that the online teacher may have, from finding students to receiving the payment of the lessons in a simple and easy way.
The first thing to do once we are on the website is signing up. The system is simple and intuitive and not very different from other websites. One of its advantages is that you won’t have to install any program to use it, you will be able to teach without leaving your browser.
If we want to start giving classes in Classgap these are the steps we have to follow one by one:
- Click on “Sign up”, then complete your basic data: Name, e-mail and password.
- Select the subject you would like to teach and the level. For example: English, Advanced/C1.
- Then it’s time to set a price for your lessons. Classgap offers its users two different kinds of lesson packs, so the more lessons the student books, the cheaper is the price per hour. You will have to set a price for an individual lesson, a price per hour for a pack of 5 lessons, and the same with a pack of 10 lessons. Here you have some tips in case you don’t know which price you should set.
- Then you just have to provide some personal required information to complete your profile such as a picture, where you are from, where you live and the languages you speak. Once finished, you will be part of a great online teaching community!
How to get students in Classgap
The first thing we will have to do to find our students is to select our time availability.
Another thing you have to set is your “visibility level”, the higher you set it, the more chances you will have to appear on the first places of the searches. A high visibility and a qualified profile will have all your spots booked!
The quality of your profile depends on:
- Your presentation video
- How you promote your profile
- Having the app downloaded
- The average response time
- The average booking acceptance time
- Number of lessons done
The more quality your profile has, the more students you will get. One of the advantages of this platform is that if you are an active teacher, take care of your profile and work constantly, you will be able to have many hours of class. Classgap rewards the teachers who work constantly, who have a good relationship with their students and get good ratings.
If you already have students, but don’t use Classgap yet, you have the option of inviting them to register. This option allows you to have a good profile and therefore get more students for your classes.
How do the lessons work?
When a student reaches your profile he will book a lesson and you will have to accept it, the faster you answer this request, the better your profile will be. When the lesson date arrives, all you have to do is log in and wait for your student to start the class.
- Audio: be sure your mic is on, sometimes it isn’t for default. Check your computer settings if so.
- Chat: use the chat box to communicate writing or sharing links.
- Tools: click on the + sign to open this feature.
- Documents: In order to add a document select ‘add new’ and the type of document you would like to create.
- Upload: Upload any kind of content or document from your computer, dropbox, drive…
- Share screen: you can share your screen in case you want the student to see an specific content outside the platform.
- Settings: change the audio and video settings from the menu located at the top right of the screen.
- End class: Do not forget to end the class when you’ve reached the hour, a button will appear at the top right of the screen.
When a lesson is over, the student will be able to leave a review about you, so encourage him or her to do so because that will help you get more visibility and therefore more students.
Receive your payments in a secure way
This is one of the most attractive advantages of Classgap. For many beginner teachers, it is very common to have a certain mistrust when students have to pay at the end of the class. This causes many of them to ask to pay in advance, which, on the other hand, may make the students mistrust the teachers.
Classgap and similar platforms have solved this problem. When booking the class, the student makes the payment automatically and the teacher receives it in his account in Classgap at the end of the session. All the money is accumulated in the teacher’s account and at the end of each month an automatic transfer is made completely free of charge.
This is a great advantage especially if you are just starting out in the world of online classes. When you start to have several students there are many things that are beyond your control and payments are one of them. It is normal to face uncomfortable situations that if you use this type of platforms you can avoid.
We invite you to check out Classgap, register and enjoy giving your online lessons.